I've never really liked popcorn. You could say that, faced with a choice between a bowl full of $100 bills, or a bowl full of popcorn, most of the time I would choose the $100 bills.
I remember when I was 4 or so, the only thing I could make was popcorn. Well, I think cheese crisps- popcorn came first, though. With the air popper- not the microwave. You know, cheese crisps aren't that bad...made with beans. Without beans, they're filth.
Some time ago, I saw an episode of Good Eats (on Food Network) about popcorn- Perfect Popcorn. Host Alton Brown did it differently than my tested and proved method...he popped 1/2 cup of kernels in 3 T of oil in a stainless steel bowl, with salt in it while it popped. I always topped it once it was done...he popped it in the bowl so the oil and kernels would pool at the bottom and more would pop.
I decided to try it. I made up some popcorn salt in the blender, got our stainless steel bowl out of the freezer (it had ice in it, frozen-water-ice,) put 2 T of melted Coconut oil in it along with a sprinkling of salt (around 1/3 t) and 1/3rd cup of kernels. I put aluminum foil over the top and made vent holes, then turned on the element and shook it until it was done.
It worked great. It burned on the bottom a bit. I had to discard 1/4 cup of popcorn (popped, not kernels). I didn't add any butter or oil, and boy, was this the best popcorn in EVERDOM. It made movie theater popcorn seem like filth (on second thought, it is filth!).
I made another batch to share with my parents later that day, and they loved it, too. I didn't let it burn...it's so wonderful, perfectly buttery (or uh, coconut oily) and salted, incomparable to the filth I used to make.
Try it. It's good. And it's past my bedtime. Goodnight.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh yeah. That is some awesome popcorn. I still misses me some butter though. ;-)
Post a Comment