Thursday, September 21, 2006

We got what now?!

Yes, it's true.

My mom went psycho a bit back about her Internet connection. I tried to comfort her, saying, "Mom, calm down. I'm connecting at 66kbps. Don't cry!" But that went over badly: "Well, I'm connecting at 12kbps, so we're getting WildBlue!"

I knew what WildBlue was- high-speed satellite Internet, but I thought my mom was a crazed hobo that got his brain switched with her, which often happens (with hobos, not with my mom). I thought it was her first time having her brain switched, and wondered how she was adjusting to life being a crazy person. She was adjusting just fine, I suggested.

Now all of a sudden I get this: "Duuude, guy! Dude guys listnnnn!!!!!~ dude gon' 2 come by teh house!! @ 11-1??? B rdy o' else plz!!!!" Translation: "Hey guys, a guy's going to come by the house to install WildBlue at 11AM-1 PM. Heads up."

So the --...what the heck? BLLP? what kind of a noise is that? Ah, I see, it's a pop up. At a music site. Walmart.com, as a matter of fact. It's the only one I have experience with atm (and I download soo little music).

Update: WALMART IS WORSE THAN THAT ONE SHOW WITH THE GUY IN IT


You might say, "Woah! Kev! Be careful! You're awesome! You can't download a song AND type at the same time!"

Whilst I appreciate your concern, back to the topic at hand. You... jerk.

He showed up, late of course, installed WildBlue, and left. My pa said he acted very professional, and did it right (my dad used to be a WildBlue installman I gather?). We're connecting at 512-710 (once 710) kbps. Currently at 612. That's an awesome upgrade from the 26-28k we were getting. It cost $200.00(two hundred) for equipment, and we saved $100 on installation because we ordered before Newsboys CD (Go) came out or something.

Then my mommy, whom I love with about 27% of my heart (estimated), picked me up a wireless router.

In return, I signed her up with Thunderbird. I may soon be using Thunderbird. It sounds so cool! I mean, in that it's a real mans Email service!

Update: I got a Gmail account instead- web-based email FTW!

I spent an hour trying to set up the router, with their stupid instructions AND someone else's instructions. They were also stupid. Finally, I gave up, and did it my way. Much to my expectancy, it worked fine. Leave it to my ruthless common sense and cutting-edge brilliance.

I switched her Outlook stuff to Thunderbird, she'll like that (She didn't!). I also deleted her copy of windows XP, so I had to install a copy of Win98 to her comp. She shouldn't notice. (She did!)

So I'm now in my room, 25-30 feet from the router, and I'm getting a very good signal. Wireless. I can probably sit on the porch at night and read and write and research. Well, less of writing. I love researching things. My laptop is quiet and peaceful, compared to my mom's computer. Bad memories of when it used to be used for evil under my control, I suppose. More on that much later.

So goodnight for now. I have to get up early. I'm sorry I called you a jerk.

No comments: