Well, I happened to get a 250 GB Western Digital 5400 RPM hard drive for my birthday (thanks, me!). So I used EASEUS's Disk Copy (recommended by Don Horsegoggles) and copied my 80 GB hard drive to the 250 GB, having the 250 GB housed in an external hard drive "box."
My original hard drive was almost full, and had been at that stage for months. Don't believe me? Here's mathermatalical proof:
Over the past months, I continually uninstalled programs and neglected importing pictures to my computer to save space and it was to the point where every game I had was uninstalled save for Sins of a Solar Empire. It was only 1.5 GB and next in line.
Anyway, I used Disk Copy today and it worked. Since it worked, I uninstalled my 80 GB drive and installed the 250 GB drive...and it worked. Here's the new picture:
Ah. Space.
It was not without one minor hiccup, however. EASEUS copied the disc so exactly that the Local Disk partition remained at 60 GB. It did not show that I had 219 GB but was exactly as the prior picture. So I used EASEUS's Partition Manager, and...it worked. I could have created a second partition called F or whatnot, but instead I enlarged the C partition to include the rest of the "unallocated" storage. Thanks to Mr. dataDyne for the tip, as he recently went through a hard drive upgrade and mentioned that he enlarged his main partition; I halfway expected it, even.
It would appear that everything commenced flawlessly. You might ask, "Kev, why do a destructive reinstall? Why not a non-destructive reinstall?"
Humble fool, I'll tell you why. It's not called a reinstall. It's called a recovery. THAT IS IN NO WAY CONFUSING, NOT ONE BIT.
That was sarcasm; actually, it is confusing. Wouldn't it be a much better (and more intuitive) idea to call the destructive recovery a reinstallation, and call the non-destructive recovery a recovery? Because the ambiguity just steams my potatoes, for real. But I digress, the reason I chose the destructive recovery is for the finality of it. I'm dramatic sometimes, yeah?
I took my own advice and, after removing all the utterly useless programs and features falsely so called (and I really gave it to them this time, it was a warzone), I connected to the Internets (thanks, Al!) and downloaded and installed AVG. Then I installed Firefox so that I could get to blogging.
Now I'm off to download eSword, also, the King James Version without Strong's numbers (so that I can copy verses without the Strong's numbers) and another version. I won't say which, but it's like in Chinese or something, don't freak out, OK?
And I'll end this post by mentioning the slightly difficult to find Google toolbar (for Firefox - for Internet Explorer). I'm ending it for two reasons: One, it's long and boring, and two, a few programs are in "We need restart" mode.
Everything should be fine as long as my old hard drive doesn't suddenly die. I'll let you know if I jinxed myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment