He used the counter as a stirring-utinsil rest. By that I mean the counter is covered in bean dip. All didn't go according to plan for him today, though. As he merrily messed up the kitchen, probably humming to himself, probably the theme to a classic anime I wish were still on but would never admit I've ever watched except under one context which I would still not readily or proudly admit to and especially would not admit that I would watch it if I had the chance, his rat died.
Actually, I'm pretty embarassed about anime. I don't know why. I think I might want to do anime-type animation, leaning more towards Avatar's more realistic type, and avoiding the giant-head-when-angry type. It's actually easier to draw than it seems...and it looks terrific. I think you'd need to frame-by-frame it, though. That'd be the real unrelenting challenge. Flash tag!
Back to the dead rat:
I resisted the urge to say "If only you had loved him more..." this time. He doesn't care much. If we can stand it, we won't be buying him any more rats...hey, I wonder if he'll stop delusionally knocking to go into his own room now? Or if he'll decide that the rats are still around in ghost-form. I need to sneak into his room and quiet his TV. It's so loud I can hear it from my room...I can hear it from the living room, too.
Ideally, I should order the Whistleblower magazine subscription, seeing's how it's on sale for 'totally cheap' ending tonight at 10 PM pacific time. Hmm.
Steak for dinner. Please God, may we have enough propane left for the grill. I will make, oh, I don't know, Spinach and Noodle Casserole as a side, I think. Oh yes. My poor, poor mother.
Hey, here's the recipe, courtesy of my Mom's website. I will post a link if she says it's OK.
Spinach Noodle Casserole
1 lb. extra-wide noodles
1 lb. package frozen spinach or 2 10 oz. box packages frozen spinach
8 ounces longhorn or cheddar cheese (you can use more if you like)
5 cups milk
1-10 tablespoons butter
10 tablespoons flour
salt to taste
Start water boiling for the noodles; if desired preheat oven to 350F.
Put the spinach in a pan and begin warming it, put in microwave according to the directions, or run hot water over it in a colander. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add flour and stir until combined, then while stirring constantly, slowly add the milk.
When the water for the noodles begins to boil, put in the noodles and cook for ten minutes. While the noodles are cooking grate the cheese (skip if already grated). Drain the spinach when it is done cooking.
When all ingredients are ready, butter or spray with non-stick cooking spray a glass casserole dish (you could also line with aluminum foil). Ladle about one cup of white sauce into the bottom of the dish. Then layer in one-fourth of the noodles, one-fourth of the spinach and 2 ounces of the shredded cheese, then another cup of white sauce, continuing with the layers until all ingredients are used up.
Turn the oven on to 350F (not necessary to preheat), cover the casserole dish with a lid, or aluminum foil (Kev prefers both!) and bake for 30-45 minutes. You can tell when the casserole is done when the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling.
My Mom's commentary: "If you are in a real hurry, you can toss all the ingredients together and mix. But I really recommend trying it first baked in the oven. This was my very favorite meal as a child and remains one of my favorite comfort foods. The recipe comes from my paternal grandmother."
Thanks, Mom's Paternal Grandmother, and Mom for preserving the recipe. Enjoy the recipe, which my Mom should post on her blog most assuredly!
Song of the Day is Baruch Hashem, 'cause it's got Jew-words in it. By the Reach Out Singers, composed by the late Zola Levitt peacebeuponhim.
I wonder if Zola would find that a funny joke...
No comments:
Post a Comment