Monday, July 09, 2007

Friday, July 6: Thunderstorm

Sorry, this is a few days late. Correct date would be July 6th. Welcome the "YES" tag, for when I score a certain victory, am vindicated, win the lottery, or something I really approve of happens. You know how my tags go; sometime there'll be a "NO" tag. Actually, "Dammit" probably does it.

Last Friday, we brought home the kittens, Lyndon (after the President, I don't know yet why I chose it) and Popo. We're not sure if we'll spell it Poepoe, or Popoe, or just Popo. I like Popoe more- sounds less stupid.

Anyway, onto the point of this post. We had the first rain in, according to FOX 10 News, 74 days! Yay!!!



It was a thunderstorm. It moved it very quickly once it got started, and darkened the sky. Below is the first picture, taken right around 6:20 PM, looking directly east...you know, the side of the sky the sun rises from, dude.

Here the storm is just making its way over to us- I had just noticed it. It is picking up speed and getting fuller. Below is another picture, taken at 6:35 or so PM facing south-west.

If you can't grasp directions, north is "forward," west is left, east is right, and south is "backwards." That means...oh, if you can't grasp it, you're too stupid. MORON!

As you can see, it has a likeness to Death Mountain from the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of time. Great, right? I'll take a picture of that mountain some day. It's basically a rather large mountain with a ring of menacingly dark, harrowing clouds winding around it. Get it? Winding? Cloud humor! Laugh, man!

By the way, if you haven't figured it out, the pictures are much bigger when you open them up in another window. They are much easier to see that way, as well. Oh, but look at me, carrying on like a school girl.

It's clear that it isn't as bad to the west as it is the east. So the storm was blowing in from New Mexico or some such. Taken directly after this, likely the same minute, is this photo below of a dust storm forming! I like dust storms! One of two things I like about summer. One, winter is soon. Two, dust storms.

So, we called my Dad and warned him. He got to covering things up. Good too, because it did hit. Below is a photo taken at our gate, facing directly west at the sun. I was right, and the picture did look pretty. My Mom didn't think it would. Not that she is any expert, like I are.


Yes, I think that pointy cloud is the Death Mountain cloud again (now it looks roughly like a hookshot). I like this picture. Anyway, once we got most of the food inside (we got stuff to make gumbo, broccoli casserole, chicken casserole, and coconut chicken- not necessarily all at the same time, recipes sometime), the dust hit.

It hit hard. The air filled with it- it being dust. It had sand in it as well, apparently, because it hurt my eyes. It was thick. One of the thickest dust storms we've had; it didn't last long, however. Maybe 5 minutes. It was so terrible, I did not take pictures. I will when we have the new camera. Below is a picture of the sky at 7:15 to 7:25 PM. Not sure. Anyway, it is juuust about to rain.


I could post pictures of "blurry lights"- or drops of rain, but that is not a feast for the eyes, or a low blow to purpose. So I won't. It began raining shortly after this, and rained until 7:45, I think. It probably sprinkled throughout the night. Below is the highlight!

See? I actually got a shot of lightning! Isn't that awesome? Here is a closeup, in which I messed with the contrast/brightness levels:

Hah! Take that, Napoleon! My Dad thought it was hopeless. "Kev, you'll never get a picture of a lightning bolt! Those things are faster than your slothlike reflexes! Give up! Loser! Poser! Idiot!" the next thing he hears, "I got it!" followed by "IN YOUR FACE! HAH! WHO'S THE LIBERAL NOW, LIBERAL?! OH, WE SHOULD JUST CALL YOU LIBBY FROM NOW ON!"

The three bolts flashed for a second or so. The average start of the monsoon is July 7th. I will catalog every storm we have this year, both on-blog and on-computer. I will then make a post with this years storms, with links, with some storms nicknamed or named. Anyway, time to go. It is 9:47 PM on July 9th.

The kittens both are in my room. I soon call them, will, "furry alarm clocks." Shudderingly.

No comments: