Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Kev's "Home" Improvement Project

I have adopted a part of our yard. Sort of like adopting a highway. Only it's dirtier than a highway. OOH, BURN! To wit: I adopted it and am going to clean it up. Why? Well,

The reason for cleaning up this area of the yard is that flower garden I've always wanted. Nothing says, "Wow! This guy is NUTS!" like a flower garden! Plus, I peddle flowers at church. I'd sell them for like, $2 or $5 a bundle, and people would donate it, sort of like buying it for the church.


Additionally...the area... it... looks terrible. I'd like one clean area of the yard to relax in. I'm not saying it's filthy. It's filthy by my "I wish it weren't so" standards, but you should see the real "junkyards" we have around here. The Frefallows down the lane, our drug-using neighbors, have so much junk in their yard they could trigger the Second Coming. Want to know the best part? It's all worthless! Hah, hah, hah! Seriously- they couldn't sell any of that stuff if they shot themselves!


So, I've spent five-to-six days so far (spread out over two weeks), getting 2 recycling-can garbage cans full of junk and one very full F-150 truckbed of tree trimmings (here is the somewhat-hollow tree canopy I'll be paying a lot of attention to):


It's real nice in the mornings. Casts shade forever, it seems. Lots of garbage there, but that's only one fourth of the junk in the area. LJ, my Mom's dog, ripped apart a couch (like pitbulls do), and it floated underneath the branches. So I'll have to figure a way to get that fluffy stuff out from under there, as well as devise a plan for removal of this junk. I can fill an entire garbage can in about 40 minutes.


Funny thing is, it is stuff we brought from our old house. Lesson of the day: When you're moving, take that time to throw your junk away! Seriously! Don't screw around; this is your chance to make a clean start. You'll only shamefully throw it away some years later, so cut yourself the shame. And the suffering.

Plus, you can acquire new, useless-worthless junk at that point, if you so desire. I mean, you'll never use the old useless-worthless junk, anyway, so get some new useless-worthless junk you can't use: a stroller with two wheels... a door that's broken in half... a TV with a broken screen (to be frozen until they can figure a way to fix broken screens?)... a washing machine which is probably just missing a belt... a microwave you're not sure works...all will be yours for the taking with your newly found space. Or you can look on the space and go, "Wow, this doesn't look like...like a pile of junk. This is GREAT!"



...so uh, this area should be clean just in time to start planting. When that happens, don't say you didn't see it coming!


Then I'll need to devise a way to repel birds, bugs, and dogs.

But we'll burn that bridge when we come to it.

No comments: