OK. I am going to make steak for dinner, and I'll probably make Circus Potatoes to go along with it. Circus Potatoes are these things, and they're great if you like spicy, easyish-to-make potatoes. Tons easier than frying them, at least. If you don't like them spicy, omit the chili powder and cayenne. I actually put more cayenne to taste.
Sadly, we do not have vegetables, aside from canned green beans and four ears of (rotting) corn. Since I am cooking for the Pretty Pink Onions month, I'll be making four times the amount of steak. Yes, we will run out in three seconds. Yes, my family will gripe. No, I am not caring right now.
Speaking of caring, I am reading Tim LaHaye's Spirit Controlled Temperament. It's interesting; I can see me (Melancholy) and my Dad (Sanguine/Chloric (I think that's how it's spelled)). He is basically a fool with blind ambitions and a bit of cutthroatedness,, and I am able to see EVERY bit of problem with the idea instantly. He can see every good, I can see every bad. It's not a personality quiz, it's...I guess, temperament. It seems interesting enough.
More on the PPOM (let's call it pompom, yes?), once I get some broccoli, I am going to stir-fry it. My parents just love stir-fried broccoli. I think. A little butter, then saute it...then stir in some beef broth with a bit of corn starch. And serve with sliced steak, just like Panda Express's Broccoli Beef. Bigger squares of beef.
Speaking of beef, I'll also be making some beef stew sometime, and I can cook bread in the machine for it when I heat it up during PomPOM. P(pretty)omP(pink)O(onions)M(month). Say it PomPOM, not PomPOM month. That'd be like saying Monsoon season. Monsoon IS a season. You don't say the "Winter season." You just say winter, as it is a season.
I have some chicken broth, as I made fried chicken last night by dismembering Poultry Birds. I will strain it, then boil it until it's reduced by half. Then I'll make rice with it, reserving some to make a light chicken sauce to go with the rice. I'll then put sauteed mushrooms in it.
Speaking of mushrooms, I also wanna make some portabello mushrooms. See how ideas flow? My Mom has the recipe on her website, for portabello mushroom sandwiches. It's basically portabello mushrooms cooked like hamburger patties with fresh basil and tomato slices served on a kaiser roll (whatever that is).
Also, I'm going to cut up the steak, and onions, and bell pepper, for Marlboro Man's Favorite Sandwich. All I will have to do is, like the portabello sandwiches, cook it. The same with the steak; I'll clean it, pepper and salt it, and freeze it.
Among the vegetables I will make are two meals of Green Bean Amandine, three meals Corn on the Cob, and three meals kale.
Soon, I'm going to cook the ham sitting in our freezer. A note here - there is, in fact, a difference in ham, so if you've had a really delicious ham, then one that tasted horrible (scaring you off), there is a difference and I'm tracking it down. I kept away from ham for years because I got a bad one. I have to learn the difference, then I'll report back.
Once the ham is done, I can cut it up for Split-pea stew. I call it stew because Split-pea soup separates when it chills. There's a layer of thick (starch-thickened?) water, then a layer of crushed pea. I remove half of the water...removing...untold amounts of nutrients, but it keeps my family happy. I usually double the peas, then on top of that remove half the water. And I add tons of ham. Then serve with french bread! Oh, man. If you complain about split-pea stew, served with fresh bread-machine french bread, with extra-smoky ham in it, I'll cut your hand off.
I mean. Have my feelings hurt...yeah.
Anyway, that's on the agenda.
Three meals of frozen, uncooked, cleaned and seasoned, just-grill-or-saute-steak
Three meals of frozen, just-bake circus potatoes
Five meals of frozen stir-fried broccoli and beef cubes (get it?! Like Borg cubes!), just-heat
Two meals of frozen, cut up, seasoned portabello mushroom sandwiches, just-saute
Three meals ultra-rich, doubly-thick, extra-hammy split-pea soup, serve with bread, just-heat
Two meals of rice cooked in reduced chicken stock, with pepper, carrot cubes and sauteed mushrooms, just-heat
Three meals of Marlboro Man's Favorite Sandwich, seasoned, just-saute
Two meals Green Bean Amandine, just-heat
Three meals corn on the cob, just-bake
Three meals kale, par-boiled, just-boil/saute
...the formatting on that may be a bit messy, but I get the message loud and clean. Clear. Now, off I go to thaw 20 pounds of steak, a ham, and 30 pounds of roast.
*flutters away*
Tuesday, August 14, 2007
PomPOM Update: Planning 2
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment