Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Take That, Firefox Fiend!

Firefox is buggy. A recurring problem is CPU usage- 80%, 90%, 97%, 98%, and finally up to 99% of system resources, CPU usage. There's a rather simple solution or fix for this slowdown. But you'll have to read my post first. Heh heh heh (or scroll down until you see the checklist and skip the praise of Firefox and explanation of the programs).





In case you're a fool, like I was, still using Internet Explorer, Firefox supports "tabbed browsing"- which allows you to have a number of windows open in the main program. So I have one Firefox window open in my system, then like 12 open inside that window. It's awesome, and you cannot go back to non-tabbed browsing after you've experienced tabbed browsing.


Unless you're my Mom. There are a few downsides to this: The main Firefox window takes up a lot of system memory (135k currently, and Media Player (which I might replace soon) is using 111k). That's fine, because if it were IE, you'd have ten IE windows open each taking 15k- and your precious system taskbar tabs.

There's one other problem aside from memory usage (which isn't bad) that I know of. Firefox sometimes "jams"- I don't know how else to explain it- and it takes up 80%-99% of the CPU. This effectively cripples Firefox. However, other processes still work. You can close it down, for example, or open another web browser to see how to fix it. It's a real pain.


It was so cool whenever I first downloaded Firefox. I knew nothing about it- except that I have always heard screaming about how cool it is. Right before I opened it up, I thought, "Man, I wonder if this will allow you to have windows open inside the main window."
The idea came to me years ago whilst I was having trouble with my programs stacking. I thought, "Huh. I wish it could do that inside the program..." and to my surprise, it did have what I would come to love as Tabbed Browsing! And here I am. I am a genius! Tremble!


So, there's lots of reasons it jams, I assume; I am only aware of two though, as I've only had these two problems, they're the only ones I will address. The first problem has to do with Flash.



If you're an idiot, YouTube is Flash format. A lot of ads are Flash format- cartoons, some commercials, Flash. I assume pornographic websites contain Flash. I also assume Math.com contains Flash. I do not know, as I do not frequent websites such as these.


The fact is, for some reason Flash messes with Firefox. So, I downloaded the add-on, Flashblock. Flashblock is, well, how do I say it, awesome. You know how sometimes in a forum (such as a combat boot forum) you'll have several windows open, and you'll hear a YouTube clip playing (in this case, "The Combat Boot Babble Bit," where someone makes two combat boots talk! EEE!)? And then you have to go through all the windows looking for it, scrolling down, to shut it off?

Well, Flashblock blocks all of that. ANYTHING that's Flash. For example, you know how you open up a YouTube page, and it starts downloading? So you open ten YouTube clips, and they're all downloading...and you can't watch any of them until one's finished?
Flashblock stops the connection, so it does not start downloading them. So you can open as many as you like, then you just press the button to enable the Flash content. It's handy and convenient.



This fixed the 99% CPU usage for months, for me. Months. I had almost forgot Firefox did it. Until it did. Oh, darnit! Doing a little research, I discovered that it was most likely due to JavaScript. I don't know what that means. I thought Java was another word for coffee. You know, like, a Java hut. Or a pool full of Java. It also rhymes with lava, so it's cool (or hot! LOL! I CAME UP WITH THAT INSTANTLY) with me.
In the future, I halfway expect a Java area to be added to Nintendo's array of repetitive (somehow, very justifiably and welcomely so) areas. If there can be a "Chocolate World" in Super Mario World...uhh...


...where was I...oh yeah. So I unchecked the "Enable JavaScript" checkbox in Firefox's content area (Tools - Options... - Content). To my surprise, it fixed the slowdown horrible, horrible slowdown. I think. It hasn't came back, at least- and that's good. However, I can't add labels to my posts. Or, couldn't.

That is, apparently, what JavaScript does (it might also make sandwiches- I have no idea). So, I set off in search of a JavaScript blocker. I found one- NoScript, a Firefox add-on. This allows you to whitelist sites you want JavaScript from. So now I can add labels, because I added Blogger. I also think it blocks Flash, but probably just "allow from Blogger," not using Flashblock's system.


I also downloaded what I'm sure is to become my pal, Advanced WindowCare V2 Personal. Supposedly, it's super-duper. It was either NoScript which fixed the freezing, or this. I am fairly certain it was NoScript, as it also stopped once I disabled the JavaScript in the Contents section.


So,

  1. Download Flashblock, which will solve most of the freezing
  2. Download NoScript, which will eliminate the rest.
  3. Sit back, relax, claim you discovered it yourself. Good work, man!




One last word on Firefox. I do this for you, because I would have wanted you to do it for me.


Sometimes, I have to restart my computer- either
  • Space aliens (God forbid, pirates!) are attacking and are going to probe me, and I don't want them knowing what I was reading/watching
  • Or there's a scorpion on my foot and I somehow think restarting will remedy the situation
  • Or there's a download installed which needs a system restart
  • Or, my computer freezes due to being hibernated for 10 days.

That means I may have 10 websites open, so I have to just, you know, leave them. Thanks to Firefox, I no longer have to. I simply click "bookmark all tabs"- and all my tabs are bookmarked (created in their own folder to keep track of them), so I can restart.

That's alright in itself. But what is really awesome is that you can then select "Open All in Tabs"- opening all the tabs in that folder. So I could bookmark the 13 tabs I have open, then reopen them just as easily. Now, be a good lad, go download Firefox.

No comments: