Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Echo Box #1: In The Beginning...

I received all kinds of flak. "Kev, you're stupid. Get a hard case. Your guitar isn't safe in a soft case. If you love your guitar, you'll do it." I stood fast, not having my morals or manner corrupted by they who claimed to be my friends. Job 2:9-10. I lived it. Except it was my friends. I have no wife.

I faced the humiliation of playing a song at a wedding out of a gig bag. I endured more than five months of literally seat-belting Echo into the back seat of the car because I was afraid he would get injured in a crash. Every latching of the seatbelt was a labor of love, a badge of honor.


Is a man not entitled to buy a guitar case?

Yes, says the man in Washington. It's good for the poor.
Yes, says the man in the Vatican. It's good for God.
Yes, says the man in Moscow. It's good for everyone.

I rejected those answers. Instead, I chose something different.
I chose the impossible.
I chose...

TO MAKE MY OWN.


Act I



I began by designing it. I will spare you most of the details; I searched for pictures of guitar cases, finding different designs and different ideas. I went with what I had previously planned.

I begin the actual work by putting together three pieces of paper with double-sided sticky tape. I didn't get pictures of that, but the below picture should give you the idea.


I put dots on the paper around Echo so that I'd have an idea how much space he needs. Then I marked the paper, and cut it out.

That's a dandy electric scissor. It works well. OK, here it is!


Ta-da! That is the shape of the box. I like it. So, I measured that paper to let me know the dimensions of the finished box. I wrote them down, then I folded it up.


And so the designing was done. See you at post #2. The next part gets fun, boys and girls.

It gets real fun.

No comments: