Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Operation: Free Passage

Today, I was on goat birth watch. Nothing happened. So, I decided to go feed. In the process of feeding, I discovered a very nasty hedge of goat feces mingled with old hay, pictured below, blocking access to the birthing pen (the other entry is through the main pen with all the goats, which is an inconvenient truth-- LOL I CAME UP WITH THAT INSTANTLY).


I obviously could not let this enemy obstruction go unpunished. The mere thought that a 2-foot pile of goat poop, and goat pee, and hay, and dust, would stand in the way of me having free passage to the birthing pen! And I will NOT wade through the waves of goats to go in the other way. Clearly, I had one option. I got the pitchfork. The best defense is a good offense, and this pitchfork has a 7-foot steel handle, though one of the forks is bent pretty badly, and that will make it 150% harder to use. Seriously; if you have a bent fork, straighten it. It'll change your life.

So first, I dug my way to the gate and pried it open, below.


Our eldest and smartest dog, the pack leader Hannah, a border collie mix, watches approvingly. Though...she...wishes she were further away. Or that the wind was not blowing the milifine dust into her eyes, lungs, and brain. It's that fine.


Below you can see how desperately thick the enemy is, though the picture does not do the sheer demonic density of it any even slight justice. It's about three times as hard as digging through dirt. And eight times as dirty. And there's more dust. And it's heavier. And more depressing. And harder to move.


Below, though it is hard to see, my objective has been accomplished, and the Goat Poop Gate Guard has been defeated. That ought to teach that inanimate object a lesson. And make everyones life easier.

Rest in peace, gate.

No comments: