Thursday, May 22, 2008

R from the A: Rearranging, Part III

I'll create the header sometime. It's storming now, and I'm basically offline.


OK, now it's time to destroy the rest of the programs in the start menu. It seems that the start menu saved itself automatically, but nothing in it is installed, the nut. Under Documents and Settings, and under All Users, I find my foe. I guess that's where the start menu is located, and under All Users, the Omega Start Menu manifests! En garde, thou vile fiend!


...long story short, now the hated start menu items are vanquished to the Destroyer bin. There's 1.6 GB in there now. 12 more items deleted...and hey, I found and imported my bookmarks. Man, I've got so many of them. I'll delete lots of them later. Lots of them. Hear me, you guys? I'm going to delete a whole lot of you.



OK...now time for what I was about to do yesternight when I ran out of time. Humble fool...I am going to organize my pictures. I experience extreme trepidation.

My plan is to organize them by year, then by month of year. This untested method scares me. Nevertheless, here I go. We typically upload each card when it's full (we use three cameras- a old cheapy, and a model from '04 or '05, and my Nikon S10), creating a file for them. So I have "uploaded from mom's card may 25 2007" and I need to go to that, then dispense those pictures into their destination master folders.

[time has passed]


Since it's raining, I need to take pictures. Thus I create the folder called "Video or Audio from cameras." Since camera video is so rare in comparison to pictures (and so hard to find inbetwixt them), I think they need their own folder. And just like that, I free up 590 MB from my card.

[more time has passed]

OK, I've organized (remember! We have no idea I won't utterly fail and make a jumbled mess of things yet) about a sixth (probably less) of my photos. It's time to go cook. We're having Double Egg Twice Baked Grainy Bread Air Souffle with Sauteed Sausage and Sardines a la GoodGame. Yeah, it's been raining, I'm not in the cooking mood. I'm in the...cartwheel mood.

[lots of time has passed, it is now 8:20 PM]


Ah, it's wet and cold. I love how the cold rips the life from your soul, and the wet drains the happiness and/or contentment from your heart. I am weary of picture migrating, it's scary. I did discover that when a filename is blue, it means that the file is compressed. I wonder if that's bad or not. It takes around 5 minutes to uncompress 300 MB, and it only takes up 1 more MB on the hard drive, what on earth is the point? I'll find out sometime.

Well, it's time to go, humble fools. I'll see you tomorrow. I still have something around half of my pictures to move and oh so many headaches, mainly relating to duplicates. Trying to guess which is the real folder...because one folder has 199 pictures, and the other has 299, but each one has the same pictures. Maybe I'm tired.


Files (pictures) relocated: 5.76 GB moved from pre-Crisis, dormant "Kev" user account to post-Crisis account's My Documents.
Pictures sorted: all but 235 MB.
Pictures left to relocate and sort: oh so many.
Hard drive space left: 11.1 GB with 1.73 GB in Destroyer bin.

No comments: