Monday, December 03, 2007

Bess' Wedding 1: It Begins

Alright, I've got the program (Serif MoviePlus 5) installed. I've got the external hard drive (temporary spare from my mom's job) and camcorder hooked to my computer, and I am ready to go. Problem, the external hard drive is 189 GB. Normally that wouldn't be bad, but it has 157 GB taken up already...30.5 should do, but there's not much room for error.


Now I'll read the tutorials for MoviePlus 5. Watch time fly, humble fool.


First tutorial down (Level I: Getting Started). It just introduced me to the software. The idea is like Flash, so I have some knowledge of it already. However, the layout seems better than with Flash, but I am no expert animator nor am I an expert movie editor. Now for the second tutorial, starting at 12:36 PM.

Level I: Adding Video Sources done. It is now 12:49 PM.

OK, Level I: Previewing Your Project is done (12:56). Or, I have finished reading it. Now I've started Windows Movie Maker to import the .avi from the camera whilst I learn about MoviePlus. One import quality setting is 3 MB per minute of video; I don't play by those rules. I choose the setting which takes 3 MB per second. Thus far, it is 1/11th done (1 GB out of 11) with transfer at 4 MB a second. It is 1:11 PM.

Rejoicing! I just finished my first "editing technique!" I also spent over 10 minutes attempting to remove the fade effect. So simple once you know. Level I: Trimming Video Sources is read. It is 1:33 PM, and the DV has so far imported 5.50 out of 11 GB of video, or 26-27 minutes.

Level I: Applying Transitions is finished. It is 1:49 PM (that one included a lot of exercises- drat, why did I waste the 10 minutes trying to do these exact things in the previous tutorial?). The DV import is at 8.83 GB and 44 minutes (that is minutes imported, not import duration).

Sometime I'd like to drive around with my mom viewing Christmas lights. It's sort of an on-off family tradition of ours. It's always so nice out, and this year I'd like to bring the camcorder and tape the houses. I have no idea how the camcorder picks up Christmas lights. Me and my mom do good together when driving in the car on camcorder- she always reminds me the camera is on when I say bad things, and I record all the time.


Alright, it's 1:56 PM, and the import is at 10.20 GB and 50 minutes. I'm going to read the next tutorial.

Capture has been completed successfully at 2:04 PM! UH...wait, looks like there's another 17 minutes to finish it. At least the camera can rest, though. Let's now hope that Movie Maker will let MoviePlus 5 use the .avi file. If it can't, I will miserably destroy that wicked copy, and create a new one with MoviePlus 5. I have thus far chewed off one fingernail.

One minute remaining, and I'm halfway through this tutorial. It's a mind bender, this one...it is 2:21 PM. Oh, I forgot...the file is on the external hard drive- the extra 17 minutes was Movie Maker importing the file. 11.6 GB, 57 minutes, 49 seconds. Begone, ye Movie Maker. To the pits with you, foul dog.


I'm definitely going to need an external hard drive, but buying one looks like a dangerous game. Reviews cannot be trusted. I think the My Book is good...but there are of course the horror stories. A 500 GB version is on sale through December 8th at Staples for $130, normally $170. I'll have to...route through the campfire tales more thoroughly later. For now, it is 2:49 PM, and I'm going to resume reading the tutorial.


2:54 PM. Level I: Applying Effects is complete. That's a cool one.

Two more tutorials to go in the "basic" section. OK, 3:05 PM and Level I: Adding Titles is complete. I need to now install the secondary disc. Done. It's 3:10 PM, and I'll begin reading the last of the Level I tutorials, Level I: Writing A Project To Disc.

3:28 PM:

Well done, you’ve reached the end of the Level 1 tutorials. We hope that you have enjoyed them and are now ready to progress to Level 2. Don’t worry, these exercises are only slightly more involved, and we’ll provide step-by-step instructions to help you.

All the boredom of a video game with none of the fun!


Total time to import the DV tape (which is 1 of 3): almost exactly 60 minutes (58-61).
Total time studying the program tutorials: 3 hours, 15 minutes.
Completion percentage: unknown
Total estimated time left: way too much

No comments: