Tuesday, December 04, 2007

My Computer Has 200 MB Left

Oh, I never thought I'd live to see the day. It's much too terrifying. I always thought that I would have my life taken from me or take it myself before this day. But it has arrived...and too soon. And at an inconvenient time. And a bad place. Drat.



Between my mom's wedding, the episode of Sticky-D, my music, my pictures, my C&C games, video game trailers and sermons, I have around 20 GB taken up. That leaves 40 GB floating around for various malware programs.

And that's only counting the heavy-hitters that register 1 GB or over, not the (seemingly countless) 200-300 MB programs, like haCkU.exe, or sLowurComp, or Spion-you.


After some managing, I have 13.2 GB free. An idea struck me. I could just upgrade my laptop's hard drive (as opposed to getting an external hard drive). This has a measly-feeble 80 GB, and on top of that, it's 4200 RPM. I guess that's cool, as it keeps my laptop nice and cool. I hear these horror stories about people who have higher RPM drives falling asleep with their laptop on their lap and waking up and there's nothing left but charred bones about the laptop location, typically their lap.


(I just now loaded my beloved voice recorder's contents into the Audio Dropper file, so I'm going to wipe the recorder. It's formating...formatting...formatting...GONE! Boy, "format" options amaze me! So quick and could ruin so much. 457 MB into thin storage space!)


It seems I could double the capacity of this drive for the cost of an external hard drive; for another $70, I could triple it. 250 GB.

That'd mean that I could have everything on my computer- think of the lawsuits! Then, in the case of fire (or catastrophic manifestation of God's wrath, such as "thunderragebolts"), I could grab my computer. That'd mean I can blog about the firefighters' progress as my house burns down, or the local priest's progress as he attempts to stop the raging thunderous lightning bolts. But...it wouldn't take long at all to fill 250 GB if you're talking video.

An external hard drive- one backed up by DVD copies or not used at all- would be my best bet. I still need to organize me and my mom's pictures. If I can ever figure out why my system backup discs won't burn I'd gain another 14 GB. Let me try that again; it'd just make elves fall from the sky of my world if it worked. Oh boy, it's writing to disc. Like it always does, then it stops.

Still writing; it's been 7 minutes, and it hasn't moved one percent from the typical freeze-point of 33. It's so depressive. Oh, boy, it's at 39%! That's 6 percent over the failure percentage. My hopes, they're a-rising!


Whoa! 56%! A green pair of stockings just fell from the sky! Either Link and Midna just blasted off to the Gerudo Desert, or it's gonna rain elves! 63%- I'M SMELLING PINE TREES!


Stage two of post:
Kev chronicles his adventures in "DVD backup disc creation land."


71%! I can hear the little jerks scream as they fall from the heavens! 74%!

86%! I am in disbelief. I roughly seem to remember my first Metroid Prime completion percentage was 86%. Regardless- the elves, I can see them a-falling!

It's at 91%! Hopes, don't stop rising now! Argh! 96%! It can't be! It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAND...sorry. Oh, I love that joke. Oh no...now I sound like a nerd! I don't watch DBZ anymore! I always hated it! I just like the joke because it's a horrific reminder of embarrassing voice acting. That's a clean, unedited clip, by the way...not sped up, rotated, with other scenes patched in and annoying beeps. Leave it to someone named "Metroid 149" to leave the original. Now I've gone and Carried on like a School Girl. And mentioned Metroid.

AHH, ELVES ARE ALL AROUND ME, THEY ALL WANT CANDY CANES AND PINE TREES AND I HAVE NEITHER! Disc one created! It actually worked! I can't believe it! I think I peed my pants! YES! Yes, I DID pee my pants! And it did work! Now if the others will only burn (3 to go), I can be rid of the 14 GB backup files. I will read Chuck Norris' book, Against All Odds, while I wait for it to finish. It got here today, and it is interesting.

The process is at 33%. Oh, feel the hope I have. 58%, and 10 minutes later. 75%, 10 minutes later. Oog, he just described his dad as an "alcoholic gypsy." Lol! Boy, I sure do appreciate my dad. He's a good guy. Yilk. 10 minutes later, the second disc is done. It's magic.

Ah. So, true courage is not the absence of fear, but the control of it. OK. He made a typo on page 30. Called his brother "Weiland" instead of "Wieland." What horrible proof-readers. I sit judging. There may have been a typo on page 38- "tang so do" instead of "tang soo do." It could very well be some Jedi pluralistic word trick.

Some time later, the third is at 90%. I have to charge my camera battery. It's charging. Egg. The process stopped...the third disc was rejected, ruining the DVD. Now I've ruined another DVD trying again, and now I've got a third disc in the drive, hoping it will burn...it's been 10 minutes, and has not progressed beyond the 33%. It's trying now, though. Good, it "caught."

Goodness, it's done. One more to go. I did not expect this would take six hours at all! I expected sitting back right now, enjoying a refreshing glass of ...uhh, refreshment...and watching the clouds roll by. Or...actually, no, I wanted to be sleeping. I'm going to go make my bed.

79%. Oh boy. I can taste my pillow already.




Oh, boy! It's done, it's done, I can go die now! My life is finished! Hooray!


After all these months, what seems like years, trying 3 other times with much failure, I've finally burned the discs! I can forever say "goodbye" to the recovery files!


I don't know if I delete them or not. I'll have to see. Tomorrow. I'm going to go sleep. Our eldest dog Hannah died today, by the way.

No comments: