Thursday, January 10, 2008

Good Potato soup. I think.

This Sunday, we stopped by a Souper Salads. I like Souper Salads, and have ever since I was a kid. Even though I had a...I forget the term...but I had this thing where I always imagined the crunch from the salad coming from cockroach heads, or cockroach heads in my salad. The big cockroaches. We used to be infested with them when we lived in the city, but now we're out in the country, and I haven't seen a cockroach out here in...well, I don't know if I've ever seen one out here. Especially not a big one.


Anyway, when you have that bad of a problem with eating a certain food, you usually don't continue eating that food unless you love that food. So there's my love of salad on display, James 2 style, if you know what I mean. I like salad a whole lot if it has the right dressing (so salad is not always a foolproof dish to serve to me), and they have very good dressing. It tastes like the "homemade" salad dressing using the ranch packets. My mom also commented on the horror of store-bought ranch dressing in her post, Snacks Sunday.

I got some salad from Jack in the Box once...oogh. We got it on the way to Bess' wedding rehearsal. (She recently commented that she wants to see the footage, so I'll have to pwn some miniDV.) It was the kind made with vinegar and citric acid? Or in simpler terms, vinegar and lemon. Plus, the "bacon" they put on it was full of gristle...or rather, the gristle they put on it had some bacon clinging to it. Do NOT buy salad from Jack in the Box, or I'll have to say "I TOLD YOU LOL!" and stuff.


Anyway, Souper Salad is a very expensive place to go for lunch. We probably won't be going again. Plus, the Souper Salad we went to was probably the lamest Souper Salad I've ever seen. Regardless, I decided to try some of their potato soup. Twice-baked potato soup. It was delicious!

Rich and smooth, it was NOTHING like the potato soup I thought potato soup was. What I was led to believe potato soup was, was potatoes in milk with some onions, but this was fantastic! It was obviously made with baked potatoes (how many more times can I use the word "was"), as it had pieces of them still in it. God knows how they made it, but I attempted it Monday, and it was actually pretty good. But not as good as the soup they made.

I used the recipe Ultimate Potato Soup from Allrecipes.com. However, I found it rather bland. Actually, I found it very bland. Something was just missing, and I am unsure of what. For one, it has no spices in it, so...I mean, come on. Doesn't food need flavoring? Perhaps I am being a bit harsh, though. I will try another recipe next time.

9 comments:

CorwinFan15 said...

By the by, I looked in my wallet today...and all I found was a pile of dust, lint, and cat hair! A BIG pile, too! I'm broke! So I did not order the shoes to see if they'd arrive by tomorrow morning. I'll do that next week or the week after that.


OK, not literally broke, it's a saying. I'll have to...to...

To...gasp...go work for cash! Agh! The horror! I'm getting it from all sides: Kev, go get a job. Kev, men work. Kev, we need more money, you're not donating enough, go get a job, you jerk. Kev, stop singing, please just lip sync. Kev, I want to stay home and do laundry, go work. Kev, you gotta go work. Cash leads to power, and power leads to immortality by force! Muahahaha! None can stand in our way! None is above us!

Goldlady said...

Add some salt next time. More onions! Saute them in butter first. Add some sour cream and green onions to the top of each serving, and if you like some grated cheese, your choice, and bacon bits--make sure you cook these yourself. Potato soup goes great with grilled cheese sandwiches too!

Goldlady said...

Oh, one more thing...don't do the bouillon or the canned chicken broth. Make your own chicken broth.

CorwinFan15 said...

I actually did add salt and extra onions; next time, I'll make sure to saute them! I also did not do the canned chicken broth; we had some "death stock" made up.

My problem seemed to come from the tastelessness of the dish compared to the soup from Souper Salads. Curses, new recipe next time.

Goldlady said...

Ah, you are missing the MSG...get a bottle of that and it'll be perfect!

CorwinFan15 said...

Hmm. Yes, I have heard of the wonders of MSG. I'll have to try that.

You know what they say- "A capful of MSG makes the medicine, go down! Medicine, go down! Medicine, go down!"


(Actually, isn't that stuff salty? Eww, imagine a spoonful of cough syrup with a tablespoon of salt on top!)

Goldlady said...

Yes, it is salty and I still think it's bad for us to eat.

CorwinFan15 said...

The MSG, or the cough syrup? ;)

Goldlady said...

Who knows, it's all probably going to kill us in the end, lol!