I meant to say, "My work...Is Finished!" but I suppose my subconscious is a bit faster than my conscious, and, this just in, I am correct-- my conscious mind just figured out that finishing burning Bible school DVDs is not being finished, it's only opening yourself up to their
/
Let me explain, humble fool. Last Wednesday, the Hitman brought me a box set of Bible school DVDs. I'd been pestering him to explain verses to me, so he figured he'd throw a brick at me and see how I fare. They are, more or less, studies in the book of Romans, but then you're tested by a tester, who my pastor volunteered to be, if in fact I decide I can handle it at this point. He said that he'd make the learning curve waaay down for me, I suppose so that the other kids don't get X's and Z's when they're put up against my awesome brain. He's so nice to the idiots, for sure!
I began in earnest yesterday night. I have to babysit the process- insert Disc 20, wait 15-30 minutes, re-store disc, get blank disc, write "Disc 20" on it, write to it and store it, then insert Disc 21 and repeat. I ran into many problems, including having to learn what .tmp files are, and I had to use my My Book external hard drive even, for seemingly no reason. I spent 4 hours yesterday and 6-7 hours today. I got plenty of time in on The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, and I now have a permanent hunch in my back...so I fared alright. I could do without the hunch, though.
I had to throw away 8 blank DVDs. They're real nice ones; they have a writable surface (it's kind of like the roll-on whiteout in texture), so you don't have to put extra paper labels on them. We got them in a 100-pack from CostCo for $28 a year-plus ago. In total, it took 27 blank DVDs. One of the cast DVDs- "DVD Disc 29"- failed to read. Once I get to Disc 29 in 40 years (Moses in the desert and settling, right), I'll have to borrow Pastor's copy and copy that. There's also a smaller set- 15 DVDs- for Ephesians, but I don't think I need to spend another 8 hours on that tonight just so I'll have it to study when I'm 58 years old!
The guy who does the school is a real slave driver. He wants you to read the book of Romans from chapter 1 to chapter 16 in one sitting. Two or more times. Yek. That's one tough cookie. I tried on Thursday night, but I only got to chapter 5 before my eyes shut down; I guess they can only operate for 2 hours at a time. I am officially taking a break from AoE (on the NDS) so that my eyes can recover enough to read the book of Romans through.
Darn slave-driver.
(For those of your from Alabama, AoE = Age of Empires: the Age of Kings, a game I'm playing, and NDS = Nintendo Developer's System/Dual Screen, a hand held video game system that puts some strain on your eyes if you're not extensively used to it.)
That's almost it, news-wise. Nothing has been happening, except that yesterday, we separated the wethers (wether = neutered male goat) from the female goats (does and doelings). We put them in with the two bucks. My mom says that people don't necessarily need to hear that male goats tend to "breed" other male goats- especially wethered goats- so I will leave that part out.
It was a bloody battle. The first wether- the one we banded last week- was the first to go over. I captured him by myself; my dad opened the gate for me to take him to the buck pen. Then I said, "Hey, why stop at him? Let the others suffer, as well!" and my mom assisted me in capturing the three other wethers. I was very surprised. Typically, whenever I suggest we cause an animal to suffer because, well, that's how things are done, I am called an apostate. Hm.
It was not easy; I had to flip Lightning twice (this post explains goat flipping). The first time was immediately after she tried to ...how shall we say... ensure that I would not produce offspring, via a headbutt. Shall we say. She was 2 inches from assuring there'd never be a Kev Jr.
I dove after her, grabbing onto her front-right leg. Somehow she ended up flipping. I have no idea how. It's like when the ground opens up and swallows you. No one knows why the ground opened up and swallowed you, and you'd only be able to tell if you were a Dirtiologist skilled at the art of Quakology and you had a EarthSwallowDetector. Same coin, the only way you'd only be able to tell how this goat ended up flipping over is if you were a Physiologist who specialized in physics. It would incur transfer of energy, and probably the thick layer of goat feces would factor in.
To my knowledge, I've never taken a face dive into moist goat feces before yesterday. It was not pleasant.
Within half an hour, we managed to get the three wethers transferred over. Not easy, but it was pretty fun. They either come quietly, somewhat-quietly, or they go crazy and refuse to be caught until they're so exhausted they can't move anymore, at which point you easily capture them. I am serious.
After that, my dad remarked that the goats in the main pen don't care one iota that the four wethers transferred over are displaced, scared, stressed out, and going to have to endure a very cold night with possible showers and non-accommodating pen mates. They just stuffed their mouths full of hay as fast as they could.
As you can clearly see...goats are among the most caring creatures in the world...
No comments:
Post a Comment